Thursday, December 1, 2011

I read because I'm literate and I can

But also because I enjoy it. Like, really.
There are things that are conveyed better through written word than through a sitcom (save Community) or a movie or a play.
There are allusions that only certain people would understand. You can read anything written by anyone, whether it's Vonnegut quality or John Green mediocre. You can also read things that appeal to you, unlike movies where the selection is much smaller. Many movies exist because they appeal to a wide variety of people, but books can be published online and therefore you can find something that appeals to you and not every Twi-hard in the world. This is a really incoherent post.
Some books I read because they are hilarious. Like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It's one of those entertaining and educating books. For example, I learned that the answer to life is 42 and the question could be "how many roads must a man walk down?" Everyone loves a good Bob Dylan allusion.

2 comments:

  1. I'm especially fond of Bob Dylan allusions. Though I'm usually flummoxed by Community. It makes me feel dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with you on the contents of the book and losing something when it's in movie form. I also think that the book makes things just stick in your memory like the answer to life is forty-two line from the Hitchhiker's guide.

    ReplyDelete