![]() |
| Chuck Palahniuk. Not to be mistaken for Saint Nick. (http://chuckpalahniuk.net/) |
Later on, he joined the Cacophony Society--a club composed of free spirits in search of something greater(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_palahniuk). But as the name suggests a certain sense of calamity, it's probably important to say it was formed by members of the now-defunct Suicide Club. As violent as it sounds, the club was really just for pulling anarchic pranks. As of 2008, the now openly gay Palahniuk has settled down in a "former church compound outside Vancouver, Washington" with his partner(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_palahniuk).
Tom Spanbauer, another openly gay American writer, has greatly influenced Palahniuk's works. Many of Palahniuk's first writings were rejected by publishers because the content was too disturbing. I'd have to agree with that as I read Snuff (2008) and have never been more disturbed by a book in my life. That kind of material doesn't come from a sunshine-and-daisies kind of life.
In 1999, his father began dating a woman who had been sexually abused by her ex-boyfriend who was then in prison. One night, her ex followed them home and shot the life out of Palahniuk's father and his father's girlfriend. Then burned their home because murder just wasn't enough(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_palahniuk).
Palahniuk has been criticized for disturbing material, nihilistic writings, and for writing what some believe is just to top shock value on top of shock value for the most disturbing read possible.
From what I've read so far of the backwards-page-numbered Survivor and while it is nihilistic and disturbing, I also find it extremely intriguing. It's not everyday you pick up a book about a man who teaches etiquette to pathetic rich couple, plays god over botched suicide hotline numbers, and tells his life story to a black box on a hijacked plane(courtesy of his own hand) that is rapidly losing fuel.
I should also mention that I've gathered that from only the first few chapters. Chapters 47 through 44, that is.
In the words of the writer of the Agony Column, Rick Kleffler, says "[Palahniuk's] prose whistles by at the speed of light. It's so easy to read, you barely notice how thought-provoking it is. He combines genres with such natural grace, you'll never suspect that the nicely-formatted literary-looking trade paperback you're holding has all the elements of a horror-thriller."
Nicely said.


No comments:
Post a Comment