Several challenges would appear to a filmmaker trying to recreate Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange. Of course, that hasn't stopped Stanley Kubrick from doing so in 1971 nonetheless.
While I haven't seen the film itself, I imagine trying to incorporate the mix of Russian and Cockney used in the novel would prove a bit of a problem on the screen since it would lack context clues. Some elements in the novel are also a bit violent and extremely disturbing, so content may also have to be edited out or reagrranged. I've seen only a short clip of the film and it was actually funny. It seems like it might
be one of those movies that are easier understood than the book. Humor just doesn't always
translate the same, and comparing books and movies is difficult.
There are several scenes that are key to the soul of the novel that need to remain in any
adaptation of it. I haven't gotten very far, but from what I've seen, an adaptation wouldn't
be too "horrorshow" without these scenes:
The first fightWhen we are first introduced to Alex and his "droogs," Pete, Georgie, and Dim, they are 15 years
young and wreaking havoc in the town. They are stripping down a full grown-man and threatening
him, beating him up. They get away from the police by stealing his money and buying drinks
for old ladies who praise them for it and tell the police they were good and there all night.
If this scene was left out, the viewer would miss the manipulative, disturbingly violent
aspect of these boys.
The HOMEAlex and the boys manipulate a couple living in a home and beat and knife the husband and
bind and rape the wife. If that's not messed up, I don't know what is. If that was left out,
it could be assumed that they are simply delinquents looking for a bit of fun. They're not.
The record store
Alex goes to pick up a new record and picks up two girls, no older than ten. He brings them
back to his house where his always absent "rabbitting" parents are still absent. He takes
them into his room and rapes them. I'm only on chapter four.
Three parts to cut?No specific insignificant parts come to mind. There are little details that I think could
be done without though.
-Cut back on the language
It's distracting to read and I couldn't even imagine watching a whole film like that (then
again, it may be like that and I just don't know)
-Cut out the whimsical crap
Dim is dim. This is reiterated no less than five times in the first few chapters. He's dumb,
I GET IT. And so would the audience.
-Alex cutting class
It's just not that important that here he is, feiging a headache. And there he goes, making
toast. Now maybe he'll get some music. Not essential.
I think Burgess wrote someplace about his opinions on the adaptation; he didn't like it. This sounds like an overall pretty disturbing book. Do you feel like there's a point or justification art-wise for the violence at some point?
ReplyDeleteIf he didn't like it I shouldn't be surprised, it seems like Burgess and I may be opposites (I think I would prefer the movie from a one-minute clip but he dislikes it [granted, it's his book]).
ReplyDeleteI don't know if there could ever be a justification, art-wise or not, for the ultra-violence committed, but I hope there's an underlying message. From what I've read, I think it may be that people can change no matter what they've done. I hope that's it because if there is no reason, I don't think I'll understand the novel at all.
Wow, this sounds like a very powerfully disturbing story. I can imagine that it would be pretty easy to make a movie from this. I hope that it's more than crude violence, sex and language, or else the author completely failed in making any significant points and just disturbed his readers.
ReplyDelete